Skip to main content

Drama Review: My Golden Life

I've never written any drama or movie review here so this would be my first.

My Golden Life


I watched this drama when it aired almost at the end of 2017 until March 2018 on KBS. I just watched it for fun, never to expect I'd get hooked to its story line and the emotions it managed to deliver through the casts. I think the drama could grow on me so much as I watched it during my toughest year; it was when I had met some distasteful people when I was working and the working environment was very toxic that I had to come to the decision to not extend my contract even when my boss asked me to. Being jobless (I was a freelance proofreader after that but most people don't consider freelancing as a real job, hence the label)  and to have some issues with my friends did not help my situation. And then I watched this drama one day and could relate it to some of my life situation especially through its main character, Seo Jian. 

Seo Jian came from an average family. One day, she was told by her mother that she was not her mother's real daughter; she was found wandering somewhere alone and that her mother had decided to take care of her. Then, a woman came by their house because she was told that Jian, her lost daughter, lived there. Later, Jian moved into her new family's house. Long story short, Jian found out that she was not the rich family's lost child, instead it was her 'twin sister'. I know it sounds like a very cliche, complicated kdrama that even I thought I was just going to waste my time if I was to commit to it. But seriously the drama exceeded my expectation.  After Jian confessed to her new parents that she was not their real daughter, the weight of embarrassment and guilt she felt because she had chosen the new rich family over her real family was unbearable. 

At the point when Jian was having such a struggle in her life and the emotions that came with it which were the embarrassment and guilt, I was also battling with the same kind of emotional struggle. I questioned why did I feel terribly lonely when I had hundreds of contacts on my phone? Why did I have to suffer so much when I heard a rumour of my not-so-close friends gossiping and labeling me to a certain name that I can never approve of? Why did I feel like I had nobody was siding with me? To tell the truth, I was not so sure myself if there was really such a rumour and if it did circulate in my circle. Maybe it was just my insecurity that made me sure that it did.

And strangely, I found comfort by believing that my friends were really talking badly about me. So I felt less remorse when I decided to push everyone away.



...


"Children are allowed to be selfish."



This remark had unexpectedly got me thinking from time to time as I lived my days. What was it with this statement? Was the scriptwriter trying to give an idea to the viewers that it is okay for children to just think about themselves and ignore their family and parents in their decision making ? I couldn't get it for quite some time.

I kept replying the line, the scene and the whole drama in my head just to help me understand. "Children are allowed to be selfish". Why? Why? 

And one day, I finally found an answer that could satisfy me.

I can only find the true meaning of this if I put myself in the parents' shoes. In the eyes of parents, children can really be allowed to be selfish. Parents generally have the "children should live better than me" mindset. For them, it is okay for just them to do the house chores and their kids to only watch TV, eat and do their homework. For them, it is okay for their children to spend their first pay having fun with their friends instead of celebrating it with their family. It is okay for the children not to visit as much as long as they know that their kids are living well somewhere else. Whatever the children is doing, as long as they are living a good life and not getting involved in something illegal, that is enough for the parents though some of the actions might hurt their feelings.  


p/s: Shin Hyesun's acting was 😘 (chef kiss)



Credit: Google


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Pecal' anyone?

At first, I didn't really know how this 'pecal' looked like and of course how it tasted would be beyond my limited cognitive capacity to imagine. It was until I finally tried this dish with one of my friends. It was an unplanned occasion actually. Usually, I don't like the idea of unplanned activities. Everything has to be in my schedule. But that day, I lowered my ego and from being my usual 'planned-person' to just a friend to someone.  This pecal dish looked like what I would consider as humble. A little bit of that kampong look. But it had its pride on its portion. I ate this at around six in the evening and it took me around 9 or 10 a.m. the next morning to eat breakfast. I am the kind of person that like to eat my breakfast early. But somehow I felt quite full that morning, the day after eating pecal . Simply saying, it was a really truly filling meal I've ever had in campus with such a price! Seriously saying, some of the food here are pre

Dear Photos, Speak Your Words

Autumn in my heart. Eh? When my lecturer assigned us to create our own blogs, this was on of the things that came to my mind. To capture this scenery and post it on the blog. This was when it was ' 'autumn'  in the campus. Also, the reason I took this flower blooming tree was because one of my seniors asked for one. She must be truly special for me to go through the odds of taking these photos as I have this habit of not feeling comfortable to snap pics when there are people around. I had to wait for a few minutes to really come to this distance and snap it as there were students who were busy with their cameras too. I thought I had went out of my hostel early enough to avoid all of these disturbances. Well, I guessed I was wrong. It somehow came to my marvel how nature brought people together. In a way. This was my initial distance from the tree as this one student was busy taking pics of it -_-. It looked like snow from the distance, right? From that day o

Finally

At 12.44 a.m., April 10, 2015, I create this blog. It is mainly for the assignment purpose actually. However, I've dreamed of writing in a blog for quite some time. Just that a few issues came all the way like I was tired thinking of what the subjects of my writing should be; whether to focus on one thing or just cramp everything and anything in it. It had come to the extent that I was too tired of making up my mind that I thought I was going nowhere with it and decided to not create one.  To blog or not to blog, that's the question.  Nevertheless, here I am, writing in the middle of the night, finishing my articles mainly for  my assignment. Then, I'll consider whether to continue writing or stop halfway. Whatever it is, welcome to my blog peeps :)  p/s: Thanks buddy for the guide. I really don't know how to start a blog at the first place.