Skip to main content

Book Review: Tuan Direktur, Hamka

Hamka is a renowned religious figure as well as an artist of language. I first read his book back in 2016, if I'm not mistaken, called Tafsir Al-Azhar. It was not like I wanted to read it but more because I had to as to finish up my assignment for the Islamic Studies class and it involved using the book for research. As many other students, I searched only for the information I needed and did not finish the whole book. Although that was the case, Hamka did not fail to impress. That first read really made me think that all the recognition he received, whether when he was alive or after his death, was very well deserved.

His words. Oh my. His words are like you are listening to a storyteller who knows where he is heading to and he is well aware that he is not on the journey alone; he has the whole crew of readers to be led to the destination. His words are poetic but not to the extent that laymen cannot understand; some literature pieces are very heavy with their words that scare away people from reading them. I think having the opportunity to listen to his voice is a plus point as well. There was this one TV programme that 'invited' Hamka to discuss a topic and it was broadcasted way after Hamka's death. What they did was kind of 'asking questions to Hamka' and the answers would come from a recording of Hamka's past interview. It was an interesting idea of introducing Hamka to our generation, not by simply putting forth Hamka's wisdom through someone else's voice other than his own. I can tell you that his voice was very calming. Certainly the voice of a storyteller.

Tuan Direktur or Mr. Director is a short story about how the rich, portrayed by Jazuli (the Mr. Director), usually mistreats people who are of lower status than them. They see people who are not as rich as nothing more than their puppets or robots to merely carry out their orders, who only deserve criticism when they do wrong and when they do right, they deserve no compliment because... well, they are paid to do their job, aren't they? Although some of the rich are also once classified as underprivileged, they only use their background to brag about how they had successfully move from the bottom and manage to secure the position at the top of the ladder without no one's help except their own determination and hard work.  

Of course it is not fair to generalise all the riches to be the same as Jazuli. But the idea is never far-fetched. We can easily spot this kind of behaviour and mindset, say at our very own workplace. It is more often that we hear people back talking about how their bosses treat them poorly rather than the other way around. 

Another thing to love about this book is the quotes it contained. I personally like this quote from one of the characters named Haji Nawawi, "Apa perlu saya dengki kepadanya. Selagi wang itu masih tetap bulat dan boleh digulung ke mari dan boleh ke sana. Kesetiaan wang itu tidak boleh dipercaya, bukan?". Hamka really brings down the value of money and adds to say that it is silly to trust the loyalty of money because the hands that own it can easily change. 

I really recommend this book especially for ones who are new to Hamka and only beginning to read Hamka's work. This book is thin, the words are light and the story is interesting.



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Pecal' anyone?

At first, I didn't really know how this 'pecal' looked like and of course how it tasted would be beyond my limited cognitive capacity to imagine. It was until I finally tried this dish with one of my friends. It was an unplanned occasion actually. Usually, I don't like the idea of unplanned activities. Everything has to be in my schedule. But that day, I lowered my ego and from being my usual 'planned-person' to just a friend to someone.  This pecal dish looked like what I would consider as humble. A little bit of that kampong look. But it had its pride on its portion. I ate this at around six in the evening and it took me around 9 or 10 a.m. the next morning to eat breakfast. I am the kind of person that like to eat my breakfast early. But somehow I felt quite full that morning, the day after eating pecal . Simply saying, it was a really truly filling meal I've ever had in campus with such a price! Seriously saying, some of the food here are pre

Dear Photos, Speak Your Words

Autumn in my heart. Eh? When my lecturer assigned us to create our own blogs, this was on of the things that came to my mind. To capture this scenery and post it on the blog. This was when it was ' 'autumn'  in the campus. Also, the reason I took this flower blooming tree was because one of my seniors asked for one. She must be truly special for me to go through the odds of taking these photos as I have this habit of not feeling comfortable to snap pics when there are people around. I had to wait for a few minutes to really come to this distance and snap it as there were students who were busy with their cameras too. I thought I had went out of my hostel early enough to avoid all of these disturbances. Well, I guessed I was wrong. It somehow came to my marvel how nature brought people together. In a way. This was my initial distance from the tree as this one student was busy taking pics of it -_-. It looked like snow from the distance, right? From that day o

Finally

At 12.44 a.m., April 10, 2015, I create this blog. It is mainly for the assignment purpose actually. However, I've dreamed of writing in a blog for quite some time. Just that a few issues came all the way like I was tired thinking of what the subjects of my writing should be; whether to focus on one thing or just cramp everything and anything in it. It had come to the extent that I was too tired of making up my mind that I thought I was going nowhere with it and decided to not create one.  To blog or not to blog, that's the question.  Nevertheless, here I am, writing in the middle of the night, finishing my articles mainly for  my assignment. Then, I'll consider whether to continue writing or stop halfway. Whatever it is, welcome to my blog peeps :)  p/s: Thanks buddy for the guide. I really don't know how to start a blog at the first place.