Skip to main content

Book Review: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee





Go Set a Watchman was the second book from Harper Lee that I read (considering she just published two books in her entire life, so this was surely the last book from her I could get my hands on). Originally, I was to read this book first before To Kill the Mockingbird because I just bought the book and the mere fact that the book is basically mine while the Mockingbird is my brother's. Then, my brother said that Go Set a Watchman was considered a lacklustre piece from the well-known Lee and that she should not have published it at all. I asked him had he read the Watchman but he said no; he just read others' reviews on the net (that's my bro, you just don't know what he reads). Thankfully, I read the Mockingbird first because the Watchman is a continuity from the Mockingbird (though Watchman was initially the draft of the Mockingbird. Well it's pretty confusing so mind yourself to check it on many websites that talk about these books).

The problem with me is if people tell me that a book, a movie, a restaurant, a person or anything is not good, then when I happen to get a chance to read, watch, eat or know them, I just naturally look for flaws. For this case, I blamed it on my brother; why he had to be such a Mr. Know-It-All? When I read Go Set a Watchman, I searched for flaws. And I found a number of them.

The thing I found most irritating in Go Set a Watchman was it was written in third person point of view while To Kill a Mockingbird was in first person. I guessed I would not mind it that much if I read the Watchman a little later after finishing the Mockingbird. The problem was, I read it almost immediately after the Mockingbird. It made the flow from the Mockingbird to Watchman to be awkward. Sometimes, I could sense that Lee also had quite a difficulty to adjust with her choice herself. 

If you have read To Kill the Mockingbird, you probably revered Atticus Finch as a character bursting with charisma, intelligence and fairness. However, you might be of a different mind after reading Go Set a Watchman. Atticus's change of character would definitely break many of the Mockingbird's fans. I accepted that Atticus's stand towards coloured people could change, but for him to insult them like he never fight for them could never be more heartbreaking.  

Ask any Mockingbird readers: what is the most memorable scene in the Mockingbird and  they would answer the Tom Robinson's trial. However, this important trial had a different outcome in the Watchman. In the Mockingbird, Robinson was pronounced guilty of raping a white teenage girl (Robinson was a man of colour), but he was acquitted in the Watchman. I was like what the heck is going on here? I thought I was the one who remembered the verdict wrongly but it turned out that other online reviewers also question the same thing. So, it is not a surprise if you find articles/reviews that question who really writes Go Set a Watchman.  


All in all, I agree that Go Set a Watchman is not a better work compared to To Kill a Mockingbird. However, although I had my discomforts while reading the book, I did not despise it entirely. I might reread it in some further future.     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Pecal' anyone?

At first, I didn't really know how this 'pecal' looked like and of course how it tasted would be beyond my limited cognitive capacity to imagine. It was until I finally tried this dish with one of my friends. It was an unplanned occasion actually. Usually, I don't like the idea of unplanned activities. Everything has to be in my schedule. But that day, I lowered my ego and from being my usual 'planned-person' to just a friend to someone.  This pecal dish looked like what I would consider as humble. A little bit of that kampong look. But it had its pride on its portion. I ate this at around six in the evening and it took me around 9 or 10 a.m. the next morning to eat breakfast. I am the kind of person that like to eat my breakfast early. But somehow I felt quite full that morning, the day after eating pecal . Simply saying, it was a really truly filling meal I've ever had in campus with such a price! Seriously saying, some of the food here are pre

Dear Photos, Speak Your Words

Autumn in my heart. Eh? When my lecturer assigned us to create our own blogs, this was on of the things that came to my mind. To capture this scenery and post it on the blog. This was when it was ' 'autumn'  in the campus. Also, the reason I took this flower blooming tree was because one of my seniors asked for one. She must be truly special for me to go through the odds of taking these photos as I have this habit of not feeling comfortable to snap pics when there are people around. I had to wait for a few minutes to really come to this distance and snap it as there were students who were busy with their cameras too. I thought I had went out of my hostel early enough to avoid all of these disturbances. Well, I guessed I was wrong. It somehow came to my marvel how nature brought people together. In a way. This was my initial distance from the tree as this one student was busy taking pics of it -_-. It looked like snow from the distance, right? From that day o

Finally

At 12.44 a.m., April 10, 2015, I create this blog. It is mainly for the assignment purpose actually. However, I've dreamed of writing in a blog for quite some time. Just that a few issues came all the way like I was tired thinking of what the subjects of my writing should be; whether to focus on one thing or just cramp everything and anything in it. It had come to the extent that I was too tired of making up my mind that I thought I was going nowhere with it and decided to not create one.  To blog or not to blog, that's the question.  Nevertheless, here I am, writing in the middle of the night, finishing my articles mainly for  my assignment. Then, I'll consider whether to continue writing or stop halfway. Whatever it is, welcome to my blog peeps :)  p/s: Thanks buddy for the guide. I really don't know how to start a blog at the first place.